keeping forever. Different garland, different lights, same base, and somehow it never looks repetitive.

If red and gold start to feel like a lot, try white and green with just a touch of gold. It's calmer, and it works especially well in smaller rooms where too much color can feel cramped.




Don't throw away your coconut shells after puja. Clean them, wrap a bit of jute around them, and use them as little planters. It's such a small thing but it looks intentional.

A proper toran at the door matters more than people give it credit for. Mango leaves, marigolds, fabric, beads, whatever fits your style. Here's the one I'm using this year.

Set up a modak station if you're making them at home. I clear one small section of my kitchen counter for moulds, a steamer, a grater, and a couple of mixing bowls. These moulds genuinely made things faster last year, and I don't say that lightly because I'm usually skeptical of gadgets like this.

Write your samagri list out ahead of time. Idol, thali, kalash, coconut, flowers, durva grass, fruits, incense, camphor, diya, wicks, kumkum, haldi, akshat, panch amrit. I say this because I've personally been missing haldi at 9pm the night before, and it's not a fun errand to run.

A ready made puja kit can save you a lot of hunting around. Diya, roli, bowls, spoons, bells, all bundled together instead of tracked down piece by piece.

If your space is small, use the wall itself as your backdrop. Idol on a chowki, two flower vases, some fairy lights, a small rangoli in front. It looks far more finished than the actual effort involved, which is exactly the kind of trick I like.

Try to skip thermocol this year if you can. Fabric, paper, cardboard, bamboo, and jute all work just as well and you can reuse most of it next year anyway.

Set up a small photo corner separate from the main idol space. A floral backdrop, some fairy lights, a nice piece of fabric behind everyone. You'll end up using these photos far longer than the festival itself lasts.

My Actual Shopping List This Year

I've learned the hard way that shopping without a list during festival season means I end up with three sets of diyas I didn't need and zero modak moulds, which is exactly backwards. So here's what's really on my list.

For the idol, I'm going eco friendly again. This clay idol or this one both work well, just check the size and read the packaging reviews before ordering.

For decoration, I'm getting garlands, fairy lights, a toran, some backdrop fabric, rangoli supplies, and diyas.

For puja samagri, the usual list applies. Thali, kalash, incense, camphor, wicks, kumkum, haldi, bell.

And for modak day, moulds, a steamer, and a grater.

Pick a Theme Based on Your Mood This Year

If you just want something simple, go with a fabric backdrop, fairy lights, a marigold garland, a diya or two, and a small rangoli. That's genuinely enough.

If you want the classic look, a wooden chowki, brass diya, marigolds, a toran, and fabric backdrop covers it. If being sustainable is important to you this year, select clay idol, bamboo and jute elements, plants and use natural colors in the communication.

My Rough Timeline (Because I Always Leave Things Too Late)

Seven days before, I pick the idol and décor theme so I'm not deciding at the last minute. Five days before, I order everything, decorations and samagri both. Three days before, I actually clean the space where the idol will go, which somehow always takes longer than I plan for. One day before, backdrop, lights, and chowki all get set up. On the day itself, the idol comes home however your family does it. Through Ganeshotsav, it's just daily aarti, a clean space, and time with family, nothing more complicated than that. And on Visarjan day, you just follow whatever your family's tradition is for immersion.

Final Thoughts

None of this is supposed to be perfect or costly either; I have to remind that to myself every year as well. When it comes down to it, the festival is about small details. This means flowers, some lights, and a little bit of effort combined with loved ones around. Choose best theme that is suited for your Ganesh idol this year, reuse the maximum of the last year, and stop worrying about everything else.

🙏 Ganpati Bappa Morya!